Unified Payment Interface (UPI) is a payment method that allows you to transfer money to a bank account in India instantly. Western Union is the first money transfer service company to use UPI for international transfers.
Understanding the UPI ID
A UPI ID is a virtual payment address (VPA) and a unique identifier. It works the same way your name or email address does. A UPI ID is formatted like an email address: receiver’s_name@bank_name or phone_number@bank_name.
When sending through this method, all you need is your receiver’s UPI ID. You don’t need to enter your receiver’s bank name, account number, account type, or IFSC code. Just be sure the receiving bank is linked to your receiver’s UPI ID.
List of banks supporting international UPI transfers
Here’s the current list of banks that support UPI transfer:
More banks will be available for UPI transfers soon.
How much can I send with UPI transfers?
Currently, you can send up to 200, 000 INR per transfer.
Steps to send money with UPI to India
To make a UPI transfer, please do the following:
- Log in to your Western Union profile.
- Choose India as your receiving country.
- Choose Bank account under Receive by. You can choose Credit or debit card or Bank account under Pay by.
- Choose UPI ID under the bank information section to see the list of banks enabled for international UPI transfers.
- Select Send. Your transfer should be completed in minutes.
For your safety, make sure you know your receiver. After your transfer has been completed, you may not be eligible for a refund.